In 1792 heavy floods destroyed the medieval stone bridge. At the end of the peninsula are two large blocks of masonry. They supported the deck of the bridge before it collapsed at the end of the 18th century, due to heavy floods.
Until the 19th century, the only way to cross the Creuse River here was a toll ferry from the end of the Rue de la Cale.
The suspension toll bridge, built in 1835, was replaced by the existing bridge in 1937. On the 22nd of June 1940, the existing bridge was the site of terrible battles between German troops and the French 4th Zouave regiment who tried in vain to slow the Nazis' progression.