The former military hospital
In 1805, a century before the construction of the first thermal site, Napoléon had a hospital built on this location to treat his soldiers after the Russian campaigns.
The first thermal spa
At the beginning of the 20th century in 1905, the first thermal spa worthy of the name was built in the town of La Roche-Posay. It was built by the same architect as Les Loges du Parc. Spread around small courtyards, visitors arrive for treatment with a bathrobe, mobcap and sandals. There is a second-class service behind the building covered with vines. The existing kiosk dates back to 1910 and shelters the Saint-Savin and Du Gesclin sources. The water, drawn from large basins surrounded by railings, still visible behind the pavilion, is transported to the baths with large ladles in the treatment rooms by female staff known as "baigneuses", or bathers.
The right section of the building is the water bottling facility. It has since been discovered that the water loses its beneficial properties if in contact with air for too long, and consequently, after three days in a bottle. The Minister of the Interior gave its approval for the exportation and sale of the thermal waters, but it produced little revenue.
It is recommended to drink the water at the refreshment stand. The water is drawn from depths of 30 to 80 metres.